Saturday, February 16, 2008

Last Night's Chat with Karen Williams



Ok so last night R.D.O.L chatted it up with Karen Williams. I was so glad I made it to the chat because I was so tired and having issues so I thought I would miss it. But I am glad that I attended. Let me first say that Karen Williams seems so down to earth and so sweet. We really enjoyed talking to her and it took forever for us to finally leave the chat because we kept thinking of more to say. We here at Real Divas of Literature want to rally everyone together and let you know to cop "Harlem on Lock" and please post your reviews up on amazon and wherever else the book is sold. We need to support our new authors! Below if you missed the chat I have a copy of some of the interview but I cannot post because I don't want to spoil it if you haven't read the book!




R.D.O.L: Hey Karen glad you could join us and we want to first let you know how much we enjoyed the book.
Karen Williams: Thank you and glad you liked it.


R.D.O.L: How did you come up with the concept for your novel?

Karen Williams: As crazy as it sounds I had the idea in my head for the past 13 years since I was 17. The characters Harlem and Savior have been in the back of my head. Initially I was going to have the story be set in Harlem, NY but then I became torn between NY and CA.


R.D.O.L: Karen how long have you been writing?

Karen: I have been writing all my life. I tried to write my first book when I was 9.


R.D.O.L: As you stated earlier that you have been in an abusive relationship, was it hard to write about that topic or did it rehash old wombs?

Karen: To be honest it was hard for me but it also was like a therapy. I am very open about myself and I have always felt that if I couldn't be honest with other people about my life then I couldn't bee honest with myself.

R.D.O.L: What made you decide to choose Qboro as your publishing house?

Karen: Qboro really took an interest in my novel and very quickly. I felt like they had faith in my project and supported it.


R.D.O.L: How is your publishing experience going so far? Meaning how does it feel to have your work finally published and out in stores?


Karen: Surreal. I still can't believe it and to see people purchase my book and want me to sign it! Get out of here I have been wanting this for so long! So far the experience is exciting I have done two book signings and I have one more scheduled for Feb 22nd.


R.D.O.L: What type of goals have you set for yourself in this literary game?


Karen: I hope to make writing a full-time gig. I hope my books are some where i never disappoint my readers. I hope my characters can give those without a voice a voice! I hope to give all the Harlem's, Chief's, and Cashmere's hope.


R.D.O.L: Is there anything that you would have like your readers to get from reading Harlem on Lock?


Karen: In Harlem on Lock I tackled abuse. For those in situations like Harlem, I want them to know that they do not have to define themselves by their pain. That their pain does not have to ruin or flaw them.


R.D.O.L: What's next for you? Do you have any projects line up?


Karen: Not until next year. My next project is called Cashmere. Cashmere has the same intensity and the same surprises as Harlem on Lock. (Below is the synopsis for Cashmere)


Meet the Pierce family. Desmond Pierce a hard working man from the south determined to give his and wife and daughters a good life in Compton, California. Pearla Pierce, a sexy and seductive mother who only plays wifey and devoted mother only when her husband is home. Then there’s Carmen, a promiscuous, seventeen year old on a self destructive path and jealous of her younger sister. Cashmere, a 13 year old who struggles to hold her family together out of love for her father. When tragedy hits home Carmen and Cashmere find themselves orphans’ living with their hateful aunt and having to resort to stripping and selling drugs to survive. Carmen drags Cashmere into a world of drugs, violence and sex, when Carmen allows a ruthless pimp named Black to turn her out, and against her will, Cashmere is forced to also work for Black by prostituting herself for high class ballers. Carmen’s jealousy and self destructiveness towards her younger sister continues when she sees Black is falling in love with Cashmere. Carmen’s need to destroy her sister sets off a chain of events that land Cashmere in jail and someone dead, leaving Cashmere alone and broken with the hope that some way, some how she can be unbroken.


R.D.O.L: Before we say our goodbyes, do you have a website where your readers can go to?


Karen: Yes you can visit http://www.authorkarenwilliams.com/ or my myspace page at www.myspace.com/alluru. I plan on changing these sites because I need to upgrade so please stay tuned for an update.


R.D.O.L: We Karen it was great chatting with you and I hope we can do this again next year when your next book drops.


Karen: Thank you so much!

No comments: